Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day 20 - On top of the world...

I've been wanting to hike the Missoula "M" every time I've come up here, but it always seemed so daunting. It is a straight vertical climb consisting of 17 switchbacks to an elevation of over 600 feet. As I set out on the trail, I became severely out of breath at the first leg. I am thinking,"Whoa, I am out of shape! I don't know if I can do this!" But I continue on, resting at each switchback. As I see older women and small kids with their parents battling past me, I am even more determined. I get about half way up and I have to stop in the middle of the trail while 2 younger girls pass me and I say out of breath, "It's my 1st time..." They ask me where I am from and I say, "California" and they say, "Well, it's the elevation, it's harder for you." And I think, "Yes, that's right..." Well I huff and puff and make it to the next switchback. Only a few more to go and I am this far now so I've got to continue. Finally I reach the bottom of the "M" HOORAY! Then my gf Kettie tells me, "We have just one more to go to get to the TOP of the "M". Oh, ok what's one more at this point. As we reach the top I am overcome with exhilaration and a sense of accomplishment! And the view isn't bad either! You can see all around the Missoula valley floor from all directions. It was a beautiful clear day with the perfect amount of breeze to cool us off. As we started our decline, Jax took off running. He ran down the trail like a marathon runner. I was so amazed at his physical strength and willingness to attempt this hike. We were passed by several women running up and then back down and up again. What inspiration it was to see such physical and mental strength. One young man was hiking up it carrying a backpack and two 20 pound weights in his arms. He looked like he was in extreme pain but filled with determination. After finishing our hike I wanted more but my legs were shaking. I am hoping to climb it again today or tomorrow. This trip has represented a lot of things for me; overcoming my mental obstacles and fears, believing in myself and my strength, and letting go. I felt completely at ease on top of that mountain. It was great moment. I thank my coach, Kettie for her encouragement and my brother Dudley for sharing the struggle with me. I can't wait to go again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment