Saturday, July 9, 2011

Day 9 - Oh, the Simple Life...


What a great day today! Not much of anything but that's what makes it so great!! Woke up, walked to Starbucks, did laundry, sat outside, went shopping, and then the ballgame. The local Missoula team, The Osprey's play all through the summer and their games are a treasure to see. The ballpark is mid sized and located along the Clark Fork river with views of the mountains all around. There is a large Osprey nest behind the outfield perched high upon a human built platform. The sun is setting over the "M" and the sky is filled with blue and fluffy white clouds. The fans are mostly all locals who love their farm league ball team. They know all the players names, stats, and wear the team colors with pride. In between innings there are field games like, change the plates, frozen t-shirt race, and giant frisbee toss. And of course, we can't forget the peanuts at inning 7. If our team hits a home run, peanuts are thrown out into the crowd to the fans that yell the word, "PEEEE NUTTTSSS!" It's a throw back from the 1950's when ball parks where the place to be on a Saturday night and families all sat together. I noticed a few things while I was sitting with my family. Looking out into the crowd I saw people texting and talking on their phones. My brother pointed this out to me as well. This is the thing that separates us from 1950...technology and devices. During the National Anthem we all stood and took our hats off our head and placed them over our heart. At that time, I pulled out my IPhone and tried to take a picture thinking, "Wouldn't this be a great picture for Facebook?" As I was trying to take the picture, my hand feel off my heart so I could steady my phone. I thought to myself, "This is stupid, I should be covering my heart and not trying to take a FB pic." Well, I took the picture anyway and quickly returned to honoring the singer, flag and team. My brother pointed out to me later how he witnessed people walking and texting through the entire Anthem. It's a sad day when we can't just stop for 30 seconds and be in unity with each other. We live in a great country, and for that matter, world. To not be able to just stop for a minute, and be in the moment. To enjoy the simple life, the simple pleasures, each other face to face. I am reminded of this tonight, as a busy Californian with my snazzy IPhone. It's the real facetime that matters after all! I hope you find yourself this weekend and week to come making time for each other face to face, heart to heart, ear to ear. Look up into each other's eyes when you talk and don't be distracted by your device. Together we can try this and see what happens. Perhaps we will find a smile, a spark or maybe even a tear. Then we can be truly present for one another...which is the best present of all!

No comments:

Post a Comment