Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 26 - Hitch in my giddy-up


I woke up yesterday morning with a touch of a sore throat. I didn't think much of it since I have been suffering with allergies all this time and just thought it was related to that. So we headed off to Seeley Lake for a nice windy day of boating. There were severe white caps on the lake when we arrived and it was blustery cold. We headed down to the water regardless, 'cause why? Why we are Lionhearted of course! My brother launched the boat and away we went. It started to mellow out and as we entered a calmer channel of water, it was actually kinda nice! We put the boys in the water to tube and found ourselves a nice beach head after that to relax on. The sun came out of the clouds and the wind died down to a gentle warm breeze. It really turned out to be a nice day after all, except that scratchy sore throat was not going away. As the day turned to evening it grew stronger, and then the head congestion followed by pressure. *#@%!!!!!! I began to exclaim, "I don't want to be sick, I still have a week ahead of me and meeting up with my best friend in Stanley!" So back at the house it was zicam, chinese herbs, ginger tea and bed. I had a rough night sleep due to not being able to breathe and having razor blades in my throat. I just hoped it would be gone by morning....

At the first sign of light I was awake. My eyes were swollen and puffy and I'm thinking, sinus infection. But before I could check out the web for a local clinic to get into, I get a call from my neighbor. She informed me that my less than 1 year old kitten was killed on the road near our house. We live on a small ranch off a busy country road that is the main thoroughfare into town. The road has claimed the lives of many beloved ranch pets over the years, but I am truly saddened that it took one of ours so soon. I now more than ever want to return home to check on my other kitten and be there for her. It is an odd feeling to be away when an animal dies. You can't fathom it and even now, I somewhat don't think it was my kitty. I won't ever be able to see him with my own eyes, not that I would have wanted to. However, it helps you to know that it is final. My son and I said a prayer and hugged tearfully for a moment.

Then, back to what I was doing. I found the Missoula Now Care clinic in the mall and give them a call. They accept walkins only, so off I head to the mall. (Yes the clinic is in the mall) I get checked out by the Dr. on duty, a young woman perhaps in very early 30's. I tell her my symptoms etc., and she explains to me that is just sinusitis and not yet an infection. If it doesn't go away in more than 48 hours then it may turn into an infection. So for those of you that want to get meds for an early stage cold, wait for a few days. According to her, every cold starts out as viral but if it doesn't go away within a few days, it's now bacterial. So, she prescribed me antibiotics in case I need them in a few days. I will be traveling for the next week and then I start work the week I return. Can't call in sick after a month of vacation, now can I?? After my visit I couldn't decide if I should just go back to bed or spend my last full day doing something wonderful. I chose something wonderful.

I talked the boys into going back to Quinn's Hot Springs. It is a magical place and I couldn't wait to get back. I felt the healing waters and warmth would be good for my emotions, sinuses and body. After the 1 hour drive to get there, I jumped into the water with a giant,"AWWWWWWWWW!" It was like jumping into a big warm hug from someone like Santa or perhaps Buddha. The boys really enjoyed the experience and we took turns going from one pool to the next and even doing a little Watsu. We spent a lovely 3 hours there floating, lying in the sun and a nice little meal followed by more floating and then a nap. On the drive home, I remembered Ketty telling me about a wonderful place called The Garden of a Thousand Buddha's. She had mentioned it might be something I'd like to do next year since I was on my last day. Then I see the town of Arlee, which was where she said it was. I called my brother and he looked up the directions and off we went to see it. It is still under construction but it looks like it is going to be fabulous. And halfway between Missoula and Quinn's Hot Springs makes it in the most perfect location. It is fairly unmarked on a random road off the interstate about 1 mile. It really just looks like a farm with rolling grassy knolls and a dirt driveway. As we pulled in I thought, "Is this someone's house?" There was a ranch home with a few people on the porch who didn't seem to mind that strangers just pulled in. They just went about their business as we entered what looked like a labyrinth in the making. In the middle is an incredible shrine that was being sculpted by an artist as we watched. It was a breathtaking experience and I am glad I was able to see it in the making. Then back on the road to Missoula because I've got to pack up the cruiser and get ready to hit the road tomorrow, plus I am exhausted!!!

It was a worth while day and I'm glad I muddled through my sickness and sadness, or what us Montanians say, "It's just a hitch in my giddy-up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment